I love pasta salad. If I go to a graduation party or a potluck, about half of my plate can be guaranteed to be pasta salad. There is an Italian deli by our old apartment complex here in South Bend that just always hits the spot for me with their pasta salads (And they sell their day-old cannoli for half price so I would normally find myself at their counter at some point during my walk home from
A couple of weeks before Ryan's baptism, my cousin, Erin, and I went there for lunch and chose the Orzo Pasta Salad as one of the parts of our lunch. I loved it, and I decided to come up with my own version at home for Ryan's Baptism party in a couple of weeks. Since then, I make it for most gatherings that we have. My mother-in-law loves it, which is always a huge compliment. I made this last batch for the same Memorial Day weekend party that I made Frozen Oreo Dessert for. It was gone by the end of the night, but maybe that is because there were maybe 17 adults and 18 children at the party. It was a very good time. I love being able to throw parties where kids are welcome and can run around while their parents relax with a beer or wine in hand and not a care in the world except for the a tiny fear of what their children's sugar crash will be like after ten or so s'mores ;)
Everyone and their mom blog seems to have similar salads on their minds, too! Check out
Orzo Pasta Salad
1 sixteen ounce box of orzo pasta
1 6 ounce can of black pitted olives, drained
2 big handfuls of spinach
1 pint of cherry tomatoes
12 ounces of feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/4 cup of vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the pasta a little past al dente according to the directions on the box. When finished, drain and shock with cold water until cooled. Drain again.
2. While the pasta is cooking, chop the olives, spinach and cherry tomatoes. This is the easiest way to chop cherry tomatoes.
3. Whisk the olive oil, vinegar and pepper together until combined.
4. Pour over the cooked and cooled pasta and mix to coat.
5. Toss in the chopped olives, spinach, tomatoes and feta.
6. Refrigerate until serving.
What is your go to pasta salad recipe? Please do tell because as I said, I looooove pasta salad.